WHAT IS IT?
The Particle System for Buildbox 3 is a complete particle engine for Buildbox you can use to create special effects like: fires, trails, explosions, sparks, fountains, smoke, rain, snow and much more, here’s a demo clip.
EASY TO USE…
You can setup a particle system in a few seconds! Check this clip!
Here’s a map of the attributes available for you to easily customize a particle system and to create your own collection! For more information on customizing effect or creating your own check the documentation here.
ISN’T THERE A PARTICLE SYSTEM IN BUILDBOX?
Unfortunately, no, there isn’t. Unlike Buildbox 2, Buildbox 3 lacks a particle system, that’s how the idea of creating a Particle System for Buildbox 3 came into existence.
Inside the package you’ll find a set of folders containing .bbasset files for Buildbox:
- BPS.Emitter.bbasset: the emitter is the object which creates particles; you drop it in your world, load a preset asset into it and you’re done!
- BPS.Global_Settings: an optional component you may use to manage performance settings for all the particle emitters in game at once.
- 24x BPS.Preset: loaded by the emitter, presets are set of rules that define particles behavior. You can have as many presets as you wish. Presets are fully configurable and can be duplicated to create your own effects.
Every preset included in this package will generate a different effect, you’ll find fires, trails, explosions, sparks, fountains, smoke, rain, snow and much more.
Other presets will be soon available for download at indym.itch.io.
- 6x BPS.Particle: this is the particle object, a 3D Model that will be created by the Emitter and will follow the rules specified in the selected Preset. Most effects works best with flat particles but you might have particles in any shape, it can be a sphere, a cube or even a more complex model. A few BPS.Particles are included with the particle engine, others are available for download at indym.itch.io.
- 5x BPS.Mark: an optional component you can enable and load in the Preset object, this can be used to leave a mark on the ground when a particle hits it; consider an explosion or a fire, you can use this to leave burns or maybe white hot splinters on the ground or blood stains when your character gets killed and so on.
A mini game (Buildbox Particle System Xmas Demo 1.0.bbdoc) is included in the package. It demonstrates many of the functionalities of the particle system.
Here’s a clip showing the mini game: